Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Doors on the map


There are going to be some number of player-interactable objects on the map, from doors to dead bodies to chests. One could imagine even more, like pools and traps, but that's probably beyond what I'll do for November.

The fundamental thing about a door is that it has two states, open and closed. When open, it blocks sight and movement. When open, it allows both. The way that my visibility and movement code works is that an entire hex is movable/immovable, transparent/opaque. Given that, it makes sense for doors to be centered in a hex.

I've added two doors in the above map, and in each case, the joining of the door to the surrounding walls is problematic. For the horizontal door (permitting movement North/South), I could create special corner pieces that meet up with the door, which wouldn't be too bad. For the vertical door (permitting movement East/West), the connecting pieces seem trickier to get right.

I've also added the vertical lines making the N/S walls seem a little smoother. That requires more adjusting, especially once I get wobbly lines in.

The text there won't be visible in-game, it's just notes for me as I sketch out this encounter.

I'm currently planning on 10 encounters of roughly this size for my November game - I may rearrange this one pretty substantially, since the fiction is that these are portions of the Tower of the Rat King, and the above layout feels like it's been carved out of solid rock, like a dungeon. Perhaps this part of the tower is set against the hillside.

No comments:

Post a Comment